Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday, April 6

Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. Isaiah 42:1

Six days before the Passover Jesus came to Bethany, the home of Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. There they gave a dinner for him. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those at the table with him. Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus' feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. John 12:1-3


Many centuries before the birth of Christ, the prophet Isaiah spoke of God’s servant as “my chosen, in whom my soul delights”. In Jesus’ lifetime we see Mary demonstrating her devotion to God’s chosen one by anointing His feet with precious oil. This act seems like such a strange custom to us in the 21st century, an odd mixture of humility, intimacy, and reverence—in essence, an experience that speaks to every aspect of our person; one that might indeed, delight the soul!


Dear Lord, You have chosen and anointed your Son as our Savior. So let me also choose to immerse myself in Him, being present to that part of myself which is fully human and fully divine. Amen.

Elder Susan Rupp

No comments: