Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Becky D’Angelo-Veitch, Coordinator of Children’s Ministry and Congregational Life

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it” (John 1:5).
This scripture is a part of the passage that we are focusing on for our current Qabats rotation. This sentence of scripture often comes to mind on Christmas eve when I sit at the 11:00pm service at my parent’s darkened church singing silent night with a lit candle in my hands. As a “tween” just old enough to stay awake through the late service, I would sit next to my grandmother. We would both surreptitiously glance down at her watch late into the service, until finally, its delicate hands came together at the12, and then, with huge smiles and soft whispers, we would be the first to wish each other, “Merry Christmas.”
         The first winter I came home from college, I removed my watch before heading out to church on Christmas eve, knowing that I could not bear to “see” midnight come, on that, our first Christmas without my Grandmother. And yet, midnight did come. Candles were lit, hymns were sung, and sorrow and joy mixed as we celebrated the birth of the savior who reminds us still that darkness will not overcome us.

No comments: