Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Christmas Song

I am always grateful when Advent rolls around. It is perhaps my favorite liturgical season, and it always puts me into a contemplative and reflective mood (as it is of course supposed to do).

While I am sure I should be seeking the message in my well-worn bible I received in 3rd grade, I find that I seek the most comfort in an old Dave Matthews song (click below to listen). I love this song not just for the beautiful melody, or the humanity that it brings to such a miraculous story, but because of the fear it presents. Christianity did not end with Jesus, but merely began. I am a Christian who doesn't always know what she believes, but I do believe that at the core of it all, Christianity is about love. It is about being love, doing love and showing love the way Jesus was able to do so effortlessly. Even the story of his birth, which I am honored to help tell with the youth and children of our church every Christmas Eve, is a story filled with love.


We spend this advent season preparing the way and celebrating the birth of Jesus not just because of his birth and all its wonders, but because of what we know this child will one day do. He will grow up and fill the world with love; love without question, and that is what is truly miraculous.



for a copy of the lyrics, click here: lyrics


Amanda Gianniny

1 comment:

Rich Hong said...

Great post, thanks! I really enjoyed the DMB song - I hadn't heard it before and it's wonderful. Keep posting!