Friday, December 5, 2008

The Craziness Hits!

I don't know about you, but for me, the pace of re-entry after the Thanksgiving weekend has been particularly daunting this year. Of course, the Advent season, in preparation for Christmas, has always been a whirlwind of activity - both at church and at home. With the way the calendar has fallen this year, however, with a late Thanksgiving, it is all compressed into about 5 or 6 fewer days, too - which I know is contributing to my sense of desperation for more time to do the multitude of things on my plate.



Perhaps for that reason, I seem to be more drawn than ever to some of the wonderful hymns of Advent, rather than the Christmas carols (which amplify for me the short amount of time between now and then!). Many of these Advent hymns have a wonderful way of putting this season in its proper perspective, and with their sense of expectation, and faith in the promise of Jesus' coming, help ME to slow down the desperate rush of activity in which I get caught up...and permit me to take a deep breath, and think more clearly about what I am doing, and why.



One of the most profound, and centering, of these Advent hymns is "Savior of the Nations, Come" with a text that dates from the 4th century by Ambrose, and paraphrased over 1000 years later (!) by Martin Luther! Talk about timeless... I would encourage you to look it up in the Presbyterian Hymnal (#14) if you have one at home, or make a point to check it out at church on Sunday. (I'll be playing a prelude and a postlude based on this hymn in both services this week.) I'll leave you with the first stanza, which sets the tone for the entire season, I think....



"Savior of the nations, come,

Virgin's Son, make here Your home.

Marvel now, O heaven and earth,

That the Lord chose such a birth."



Amen!

Peter DuBois
Director of Music/Organist

No comments: