Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday, December 11

Kathy Wise, Deacon

Thinking on Hospitality: Quite a number of years ago, our family of three left Cooperstown on Labor Day heading back to Rochester. At that time, all restaurants closed on that morning since the tourist trade ended abruptly.

We were looking for a place to eat lunch but could not find an open restaurant. On the way out of town, we saw a sign for a Cooperstown country club and drove down the long, winding driveway hoping that the clubhouse would be open for business.

The club was not open to the public that day since a large family had gathered there for a private family reunion. Yet, instead of turning us away, they welcomed us, insisted we eat there, and made us special sandwiches. They did not accept our offer of payment. We were the recipients of true hospitality and we have never forgotten this lunch.
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in…” (Matthew 25:35).

No comments: