Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thursday, December 3

Becky D’Angelo Vietch, Coordinator for Children’s Ministries and Congregational Fellowship

Every Christmas, I do lots of baking. I have pared it down, but I still do a lot of baking—cut-outs, my Great Grandma Meta’s gingery “Brittles”, pizzelle’s using Grandma D’Angelo’s old pizelle iron, and usually some new recipe I have seen in a magazine.

We bake and decorate and bake and decorate. We eat some, but, let’s be honest; there are only so many cookies a family of four can really eat!

My mom bakes as much as I do, maybe more, so I can’t bring the cookies there for Christmas dinner (besides, there is usually pie...) so, somewhere around January 10th, I toss them out with regret.

“I hate to see these go to waste... I wish I had thought to bring them to book club or give them to the elderly couple next door...” It helps me understand the phrase, “an embarrassment of riches.”

How are we like this with the gospel? Do you ever attend a wonderful worship or fellowship event only to think afterwards; “Oh, I wish I would have invited our new neighbor to that.” Christmas is a time of giving and sharing, but also a time of welcoming and inviting. I invite you to consider how you might show hospitality and welcome to others this season.

No comments: