Monday, December 21, 2009

Monday, December 21

Jane Carden, Youth Ministry Coordinator
“Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers” (Romans 12:13).
The work schedule was finally posted. And tears were brimming in my eyes. Our first Christmas as a family and I was ‘stuck’ working the 7 to 3 shift at a local nursing home. My husband tried to reassure me. “It’s perfect, we’ll celebrate when you get home.” But in my mind, it wasn’t. The turkey wouldn’t be cooking all day. Family wouldn‘t be arriving. I wasn‘t going to enjoy the sights and sounds of the day. Instead, I dwelled on the negative. I was not easy to live with.

I trudged off to work that December 25th with a scowl on my face and a determination to be miserable. I pulled into the unplowed parking lot. “Great,” I thought, “even the snow plow guys get to be home on Christmas morning.”

But then I saw them, two elderly sisters with two black garbage bags between them at the front door of the facility. They weren’t regular visitors. But it was Christmas and many visitors were expected.

“Can I help you?” I asked. “We’re here to help you,” they replied. My face must have registered confusion because they shared this story.

Their older brother had been a past resident. Each Christmas day that he was in residence, the family brought the celebration to him, to One West. “He’s always hosted,” they explained. The family brought everything from caroling to dinner to gifts. It was an all afternoon affair for them and usually included a stray resident or two. Although Christmas is a visitor laden day in the nursing home, the sisters noticed… there were residents who had no visitors at all.

And so a tradition began. Each December 26th the sisters begin. They sew, they knit, they crochet… blankets, slippers, shawls. On Christmas morning, they ring the bell to get the attention of someone and then they leave.

“The warmth of the Savior is for everyone!” they shared., “Deliver them with love,” they pointed to the bags at my feet and left to attend Mass.

It transformed my disposition instantly, filling me with joy. I whistled as I passed meds, I sang carols as I helped with showers; I shared stories as I helped with meals. And when the gifts were passed around that day, I remember thinking what a gift it was to be working on Christmas.

Gracious God, Just as Mary and Joseph welcomed everyone to the stable that night, help us we extend that same warm welcome to everyone, family and strangers alike. Help us to remember, we are blessed to be a blessing. Amen.

No comments: