Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday, March 13

The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims [God's] handiwork.... Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:1, 14


These are the first and last verses of Psalm 19, which has been one of my favorites for many years, and one in which I always find new meanings. It may be the association with the music of Haydn's "Creation", or the hymn "The Spacious Firmament on High" or just the depth of expression of the text that appeals to me. It seems a good text on which to reflect during Lent, as it expresses praise, awe and wonder at all of God's creation, and at the same time helps us reflect on God's will for us (verses 7-10 speak of the law of the Lord being perfect, and the "ordinances of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."). It all leads to the final verse, of introspection, and a prayer that all that we do be acceptable to God.


Thank you, God, for words to inspire us, and that call us to reflect on all that you have created, and all that you call us to be. Let the words of our mouths, and the meditations of our hearts, be acceptable to you, always. Amen.

Peter DuBois, Director of Music

No comments: