Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday, March 2

"And I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth. I set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth." Genesis 9: 11, 13


Like most church-going children, I was introduced to the story of Noah and the flood early in my church school education, and I thought of it often throughout my childhood. That might have had something to do with the painting in my room of Noah's Ark after the flood. I spent a lot of time looking at that painting, comparing the size of the ark and all the animals surrounding Noah, and trying to imagine the insanity of spending 40 days in a rainstorm on a boat with all those wild animals. I loved the symbolism of the rainbow, and I still do—it's a perennial reminder of our relationship with God. Each time I see a rainbow, it takes me unawares and startles me with it's miraculous, simple beauty. In our family, when someone spots a rainbow, they call the others to come a see it. We stop what we're doing to take a moment out of the routine of the day and we watch the rainbow together. When it disappears we return to whatever we were doing, a little more peaceful than before, remembering that God loves each of us.


Loving God, You've taught us so much about your love in the generations since the story of the flood was first told. Thank you for showing me your love, even when it is most unexpected. Prepare me to share your love with others through my words and deeds. And help me to remember that you will always love me. Amen.

Deacon Christie Lutzer

No comments: