Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday, March 1

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust; do not let me be put to shame; do not let my enemies exult over me. Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame; let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous. Make me to know your ways, O, Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long. Psalm 25 :1-5


For most Christian people, our pattern of piety is somewhat like a see-saw: there are ups and downs, times of good strong seasons and others that feel dry and weak. The emotions of the ancient psalmist are not that far from what some of us may be feeling. There are times of praise as we, like the psalmist, “lift our souls to God.” Then there are truth telling confessions of hardship, loneliness and grief. As we all know too well, life for the faithful is not guaranteed to be without heartache or sorrow. One theme that seems to radiate from this psalm is the notion that the way to address the challenges of life is through further education and instruction. The psalmist asks God to guide, to show, to instruct and teach. If during this Lenten season we see ourselves as disciples, followers, and students perhaps we can devote some extra time to learning more about the One whom we worship and adore.

Pamela Foye, Parish Visitor

No comments: