Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesday, March 17

Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to humankind.
And let them offer thanksgiving sacrifices, and tell of his deeds with songs of joy. Psalm 107: 21-22


Lent is often regarded as a time to make a sacrifice; for most of us this means giving up something up during the 40 days of waiting for Christ’s Resurrection. Last month at Session we talked of taking something worthwhile on instead. Ten years ago, I attended a Lenten service at Harvard and picked up Peter Gomes’ pamphlet, “How To Keep A Good Lent.” Every year I pull it out and try to follow his three exercises. Each of the three practices requires only fifteen minutes one day each week of Lent.

The first, Silence, is the most difficult for me. I find it hard to quiet my mind, to sit quietly in peace. Meditation has never come easily to me, but I do believe it is a practice worth trying. Second is Study, which comes more easily for me. Each year I choose a book from my shelves and spend time reading (usually more often than once a week, and definitely longer than 15 minutes). I’ve reread books by Frederick Buechner, sermons by Peter Gomes, and writings of Barbara Brown Taylor. Service is the last practice, and most of us are involved in service during the week in one form or another. But this requires a bit more of us, perhaps a letter or a card to someone you know who is ill or having a difficult time. Perhaps spending some time thinking about ways in which you can increase your service to others in the coming year. Or perhaps, as the scripture suggests, finding a way to “tell of [God’s] deeds with songs of joy.” For me, taking on these three practices helps me set Lent apart as a time of preparation.


Holy God, may our Lenten practices enrich our faith and help us sing of your grace and faithfulness. Amen.

Elder Karen Walker

No comments: