Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday, March 11

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name. Exodus 20:7

I love talk radio. It eases the boredom of a long drive. I talk back to the commentators, the callers, and even the commercials. One day I stumbled onto a random Christian radio station. The host was taking calls on the habit of swearing. Now I don't remember the name of the show or the moderator and I don't remember too much of the discussion. But I do remember a specific caller. He identified himself as a 'deacon of the church' and he admitted to a life long habit of cursing. "It relieved the anxiety of the situation." One day he was helping a parishioner, who he described as man with great need, install a wheelchair ramp. He admitted to feeling good about helping this man. The work started and so did the expletives. Mostly they went ignored it but when the deacon let a "G** D*** it," fly, the workplace came to a halt... Silence filled the air. "Why do you damn the name of God?" said the homeowner, "What a wasted opportunity." Embarrassed by what had just happened, the deacon set down his tools. "Call on God to bless the situation... try saying 'God bless it." The deacon was rendered speechless.

That story has stuck with me for many years. In fact, I've adopted this very habit. When I am faced with frustration, confusion, tension, I often say "God Bless it" first forcefully and then reverently. And God always, Always, ALWAYS fills me with the reassurance and comfort needed. And you know what...the problem I was facing seems less insurmountable. During this season of Lent, when other faith traditions encourage the giving something up, won't you join me by taking up a new practice?

Loving and redeeming Lord, thank you that you are always there, even in times of stress. Amen.
Jane Carden, Coordinator of Youth Ministry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AND MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS ALL OUR STRESSFUL DAYS AND THOSE THAT WOULD NIP AT OUR HEELS SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY COULD.