Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wednesday, March 25

You desire truth in the inward being, therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart. Psalm 51:6
I will meditate on your precepts, and fix my eyes on your ways. Psalm 119:15


Stories of the Holocaust seem to be infused in popular films and books lately. From the Gournesy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to Valkyrie to The Reader, visions of unspeakable evil come into our minds.

I've heard evil defined as a turning away from God... that evil is a human phenomenon born out of a lack of will to seek the good. I see of myself partaking in tiny acts of evil every day: not stopping to help the elderly woman look for her car in Tops parking lot; not relaying to my coworker a compliment I heard about her; putting off a heart-driven and important task (...these were just today...and it is only early afternoon!).

Lent, for me, is about refocusing our hearts and minds on the precious and clear example of goodness that Christ lived.


Dear God, during Lent and always, help us to turn our hearts and minds continually toward you as we retell and relisten to the stories of persecution and evil leading to Christ's death. Amen

Deacon Elizabeth Laidlaw

No comments: